[Ovmsdev] New web setup

Greg D. gregd2350 at gmail.com
Mon May 14 04:04:27 HKT 2018

Hi Michael,

A couple of comments on the setup screens:

1.  Step 1/5.  The Module ID suggestion to use the vehicle's license
plate number may be a bit intimidating to some.  You use "i.e." where I
think you mean "e.g.".  "I.e." is usually considered to be "in other
words", as a clarification of a requirement, not a suggestion.  I would
suggest changing the first sentence text to be "Enter a unique personal
module/vehicle ID, e.g. vehicle brand or nickname + last 5 digits of
VIN, or other unique string (max xx characters)."  (Please fill in the
max length - 20 characters, I think?)

Did we decide that the Module ID can include lower case characters?

2.  If the vehicle ID is used for the Wifi AP name, there should be an
additional warning that it will be visible to others within wifi range.
I think this use of the AP name is probably a bad idea, from a security
perspective.  I don't want to draw attention to my car via WiFi
beacons!  This really should be a user-entered field; perhaps default of
"OVMS" + 4 digit random value if you are worried about collisions.

3.  Overall, the help text explaining each step of the process is very
helpful and well written!  Nicely done.

Greg