[Ovmsdev] esp-idf is not open source

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Sat May 12 16:15:13 HKT 2018

Please note: esp-idf is not completely open source. Central components are only included in binary form.

I wanted to look into the wifi source to add an RSSI getter for STA mode. Turns out, there is no source for the wifi stack.

https://github.com/espressif/esp32-wifi-lib/issues/1

So all radio network interface (modem, wifi & bluetooth) baseband implementations are closed source and may contain evil or bad things.

I was hoping we could now at least offer one auditable networking option.