[Ovmsdev] Power states clarification

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Wed May 2 08:50:30 HKT 2018

Greg,

Every peripheral class in the OVMS v3 system (both physical and virtual) should be derived from pcp (Power Controlled Peripheral). That base class implements the concept of a power state, as well as standardised commands to change state (and for sub-classed peripherals to implement those states).

class obd2ecu : public pcp
  {
  public:
    obd2ecu(const char* name, canbus* can);
    ~obd2ecu();

  public:
    virtual void SetPowerMode(PowerMode powermode);

At the moment, we don’t use this much. Some peripherals implement it, some don’t, and some only partially. Have a look at ::SetPowerMode() in the peripheral code itself.

In general:

Undefined	Power mode is undefined
On			Fully powered on
Sleep		Reduced power mode (but all functions expected to be fully operational)
DeepSleep	Minimal power deep sleep mode (may turn off some functions to save power)
Off			Fully powered off

This will become important later when we implement the sleep and deep sleep modes in OVMS firmware (primarily to save those little 12V batteries).

Regards, Mark.