[Ovmsdev] Leaf 2016 30Kwh flapping SOC

Robin O'Leary ovmsdev at caederus.org
Wed May 2 06:41:34 HKT 2018

On Wed, May 02, 2018 at 07:39:57AM +1200, Tom Parker wrote:
> We can make the SOC calculation configurable so that you can choose to use
> the instrument panel SOC or an SOC based on the new car battery size. When I
> took over the leaf support I wanted to use the instrument panel soc too, see
> Tom Saxton's reply which convincingly dissuaded me wanting to switch:
> http://lists.openvehicles.com/pipermail/ovmsdev/2016-May/002993.html (this
> discussion that was before I knew SOC was available so I had some no longer
> relevant ideas about how to actually implement it).
>
> Now we have the easier to configure v3 platform and more users wanting to
> use the instrument panel SOC I'll make it configurable. I should be able to
> get that done tonight.

This picks up on the same discussion we started earlier when I tried to
make the same change.  But we seem to be arguing as if there has to be
one ideal metric, when we really need several of different metrics for
different purposes.

There is utility in having a vehicle metric for the dash SOC% because that
is how the car reports on progress during charging---it's going to stop at
100% (or 80%) and slow down in a predictable way at the number increases.

There is also utility in having another vehicle metric which represents
the amount of available energy in the battery---though I see no good
reason why that should be expressed as a percentage of some arbitrary
number I've had to set in the first place; it seems fundamentally better
to use a standard unit like kWh.  Is there a metric for that already?

Once we know available energy, we can derive other useful things like
estimated range, and those calculations can be vehicle-independent,
because they just use values in standard units like kWh, W/km etc.
It seems much more reasonable for this to be where the user can choose
to apply their own scaling preferences, rather than having that in the
code for any specific vehicle.

> >And now to a different thing:
> >
> >The app supports unlocking and locking of doors. The feature doesn't seem
> >to be implemented for the Nissan Leaf.
> >
> >I have all the CAN-codes needed to make this work. Please let me know if I
> >can contribute.
>
> I'm uncomfortable doing this on my own car, but I'm very happy to have the
> feature implemented. I think it should be hidden behind a configuration
> option, so you can choose whether the standard functionality allows the car
> to be unlocked, but that is a different and not Leaf specific conversation.

Yes, I'm also not sure I would always want this enabled, so it would be
good to have a config option to enable it, but it's something I would
like to help work on.