[Ovmsdev] ota questions

Shaun Jurrens shamziman at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 20:50:50 HKT 2018

Hi,

I am just a passive observer still, unfortunately. I believe your net manager should be able to deal with these events and trigger the lease (renew) request.

The logic would entail having a preferred interface, most likely the Wi-Fi interface, if present, because we can’t really determine which dhcp client will get its lease first (or last) in situations like at boot-up.

If both interfaces are up at boot, only the preferred interface runs the dhcp request for IP address, default gateway, DNS server info, etc. Otherwise, obviously, the non-preferred interface does this.

If the preferred interface loses “up”(link) status (for some random transient period, we don’t want to flap back and forth too much), the second interface runs a dhcp lease request.

If the preferred interface again has link up, a dhcp lease request is sent, which then “resets” the DNS server info after getting an IP and default gateway.

This is a pretty rough algorithm and ignores other eventual flakiness on the ESP side for other edge cases, but it should solve a few of the basic multi-homed challenges. Basically, you really just want one OVMS “client” interface working at a time to keep it simple.

I haven’t watched closely enough to see if the AP mode offers a separate logical interface as an AP target (where a separate dhcp daemon/server would need to be running/listening), as that very well may muck with the above logic considerably otherwise.

Yada, yada,
Shaun