[Ovmsdev] Power consumption

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Tue Mar 13 10:10:09 HKT 2018

There were some detailed measurements taken a while ago, and I repeated those tests for 3.1 prototype validation. All seemed acceptable.

There is really not much we can do about power consumption when the system is operational. These modems use power (especially when they transmit). OVMS v2 used linear regulators, and v3 uses switching power supplies, so this is probably as good as it will get.

What we have done in v3 (apart from change to switching power supplies) is make sure we have full sleep and power control of each and every peripheral. This means that in software we can selectively sleep/awake and power on/off individual devices as necessary. This is done right down to the individual component chip levels. In full deep sleep, with everything unessential powered down, we can get to about 1mA. The partnership with Hologram should also allow us to put the modems into sleep mode, and use SMS messages (sent via Hologram API from the OVMS server when an App connects) to wake up.

Regards, Mark.