[Ovmsdev] 3G network

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at openvehicles.com
Wed Jun 13 08:26:19 HKT 2018

I heard that Telenor is planning to shutdown 3G in 2020, but will keep their 2G network up for another five years? Our current SIM5360 based modules support both 2G and 3G. We really don’t need the bandwidth.

Anyway, regarding 4G, how about this:

Very easy to make. Our current modem circuit board layout actually supports both the SIM5360 (3G) and SIM7100 (4G) SIMCOM modules; we can simply drop in the appropriate module during production, and build with either 3G or 4G. If there is demand, we can satisfy within weeks.

However, the SIM7100 modules are almost twice the price of the SIM5360 (which were already six times the price of the old SIM900). I am also concerned because 4G LTE NB-IoT is coming soon, and that seems a much better match for what we require (SIM7000 module).

Overall, we decided to stay with 3G (+2G quad band support) for the moment, and see what happens with NB-IoT later this year. We will then either release SIM7000 or SIM7100 modem option.

Regards, Mark.