[Ovmsdev] [openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3] 29e333: Issue #36: Add support for ota/tag in config

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Thu Jun 28 09:14:49 HKT 2018

To try to avoid a repeat of the 3.1.007 issue with OTA updates, I’ve set things up as below:

edge: Bleeding edge developer, built automatically each night with 3.1.XXX-N-HHHHHH style versioning
eap: Early Access Program pre-releases, usually with 3.1.XXX style versioning
main: Stable releases that have completed testing in EAP, with 3.1.XXX style versioning.

Before moving things edge -> eap, I’ll have a checklist of regression tests to run (including ota update). Other functional problems should have been picked up by developer cars while in ‘edge’ release. I suggest to leave a particular build in ‘edge’ for a week, to make sure no problems reported to those early real-world testers, before moving to ‘main’.

I have an automated nightly build script that runs at 4pm UTC (midnight HKT). That pulls the latest masters for esp-idf and ovms firmware, then builds as appropriate. If there is something to build (something in git changed), it does it automatically and produces an email summary like this:

Subject: OVMS Nightly Firmware Build 3.1.008-13-g272697e

3.1.008-13-g272697e
Thu Jun 28 00:57:19 UTC 2018 Automated build (markhk8)

Total sizes:
DRAM .data size:   17116 bytes
DRAM .bss  size:   33536 bytes
Used static DRAM:   50652 bytes ( 130084 available, 28.0% used)
Used static IRAM:  102096 bytes (  28976 available, 77.9% used)
     Flash code: 1279002 bytes
   Flash rodata:  598168 bytes
Total image size:~1996382 bytes (.bin may be padded larger)

* 272697e (HEAD, origin/master, origin/HEAD, master) Twizy: no sufficient level info on charge done
* 8497d9f Web dashboard: range display min/max exchanged
* 5d8f96d Webserver: fix u64 alignment
* 5363ab8 TeslaRoadster: Vehicle cooldown command and implementation
* bf3b0d5 TeslaRoadster: Digital Speedo implementation
* d0221bf TeslaRoadster: Refuse to lock a car that is ON
* 7179600 Update project status files
* b3bef78 TeslaRoadster: Digital Speedo implementation
* cfbd297 TeslaRoadster: Vehicle cooldown command and implementation
* ec4bc37 Add VehicleModeKey helper function

At the moment, that summary comes to me. Is there any use sending it to the ovmsdev mailing list?

With developer cars set to ‘edge’, and automatically updating each night, hopefully with this three stage process we can pickup on problems before they hit the main stable trunk.

Regards, Mark.

> On 17 Apr 2018, at 4:35 AM, Michael Balzer <dexter at expeedo.de> wrote:
>
> "alpha" / "beta" imply some underlying development & release plan, i.e. a list of features to be reached for the "release" version.
>
> "stable" and "nightly" are also used, but "nightly" implies a fixed schedule -- I'd rather have the option to update manually several times a day --, and "stable" implies some sort of quality check / warranty, which we also cannot provide.
>
> So I think "main" and "edge" are appropriate.

> Am 16.04.2018 um 03:46 schrieb Mark Webb-Johnson:
>> Another point perhaps missed is that these are really release tags, not necessarily developer release stages. So, for example, say we were working on a branch with a major re-write called v4.x, we could create a ‘v4x’ branch (or whatever) and release ota updates to it. Modules subscribing to that tag would get those updates.
>>
>> I guess we could address that with v3-beta, v3-alpha, v4-alpha, etc.
>>
>> Regards, Mark
>>
>>> On 16 Apr 2018, at 9:40 AM, Mark Webb-Johnson <mark at webb-johnson.net <mailto:mark at webb-johnson.net>> wrote:
>>>
>>> The original idea was to have these as release tags that users could subscribe to. The factory firmware we have has everyone as ‘main’, so that one is hard to change.
>>>
>>> I did consider ‘alpha’, but it just looked strange to me.
>>>
>>> The idea is that ‘edge’ will be an automated (at least) nightly build.
>>>
>>> I think there is room for one more like Tesla’s ‘early access program’ (pre-release candidates that should be stable but have not had widescale testing). So, my overall suggestion is for something like:
>>>
>>> main
>>> eap
>>> edge
>>>
>>> Steve’s alternative would be: