[Ovmsdev] MQTT and Ovms Server v3

Robin O'Leary ovmsdev at caederus.org
Fri Jul 20 06:30:18 HKT 2018

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 12:47:21PM +0800, Mark Webb-Johnson wrote:
> If you have an MQTT client, you can connect to the same server to query the metrics, issue commands, etc. The default topic hierarchy is ovms/<username>/<vehicleid>.
> I think we are close now. Just need SSL support. And then Apps…
> Feedback appreciated.

Just had a quick play and it looks really good!

Using a simple command-line client (mosquitto_sub from the Debian
mosquitto-clients package), I got a nice stream of all metrics and events.

Using the free 'MQTT Dash' Android app, it was also trivially easy to
set up some pretty state and gauge displays (for SOC, battery, range,
door/lock, temperature etc.).  Indeed, without writing a line of code,
I think I can already use it instead of the V2 app!

I did notice some odd things though.  Over a period of several hours,
there were three occasions where mosquitto_sub showed the topic name
truncated to "ovms/caederus/xxx/metr".  The values were different
each time, and each was a plausible value from a different topic.
I'm now running tcpdump to see if the truncation is from car->server or
server->client, but of course it hasn't happened since.