[Ovmsdev] CAN-3 broken again?

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Wed Jan 17 08:45:57 HKT 2018

No specific reason for the clock speed to be 1MHz. I know that I have changed it multiple times during development of the initial module, and often run it very low (as it is easier to get complete logic analyser captures, and store more capture data, at lower clock speeds). I suspect the 1MHz choice was a compromise between performance and being able to store more than a couple of seconds of logic analyser capture.

I think our circuit should be able to cope with 10MHz. MAX7317 is good for up to 26MHz. MCP2515 should be ok up to 10MHz. Espressif documentation says:

While in general, speeds up to 80MHz on the dedicated SPI pins and 40MHz on GPIO-matrix-routed pins are supported, full-duplex transfers routed over the GPIO matrix only support speeds up to 26MHz.

Clock should be fine at 10MHz.

Can you try it (simple fix in ovms_peripherals.cpp lines 118 and 120)?

MAX7317 is at line 93 and probably worth setting to the same speed, although I don’t think it matters much if they are different as control is on the CS lines anyway. That said, we have to drive the MISO line on MAX7317 via a tri-state on the CS pin, so that will be speed limited via the tri-state.

If it works ok for you at that speed, I’ll put it on an oscilloscope later this week and just verify the signals still look clean. I did that on the original board design, and they seemed ok.

Regards, Mark.