[Ovmsdev] Transition to new esp-idf

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Wed Jan 17 08:33:24 HKT 2018

This is the issue Michael pointed out. The 'server response is incomplete’ problem with select(). Apologies for this; I am not sure why I didn’t notice it before.

Gory details are here:

https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/issues/1510 <https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/issues/1510>

I think Espressif implemented requirement this in a bizarre way, likely to break compatibility, but such is life. They did point it out as a ‘breaking change’ (at the bottom of the release notes for 3.0b1):

https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/releases/tag/v3.0-rc1 <https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/releases/tag/v3.0-rc1>

LWIP socket file descriptors now take higher numeric values (via the LWIP LWIP_SOCKET_OFFSET macro). BSD sockets code should mostly work as expected (and, new in V3.0, some standard POSIX functions can now be used with sockets). However any code which assumes a socket file descriptor is always a low numbered integer may need modifying to account for LWIP_SOCKET_OFFSET.

It sure broke us.

I’ve made a one-line workaround fix (to ovms_buffer.cpp), and ovms server v2 connections are working again for me. That is committed and pushed already.

It is kind of messy to have all these different networking implementations in our code base; I intend to move ovms_server_* to mongoose networking over the next few days. That will mean we won’t need a separate task/stack for server connections, and should save us 7KB internal RAM for each connection. Also ovms_ota. But that will have to wait, as I need to get the hardware complete first (some issues with 1.8v vs 3.3v logic on VDD_SDIO of the wrover module and some of our GPIOs), and that is top priority.

Regards, Mark.