[Ovmsdev] Moving to a production cycle

Greg D. gregd2350 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 05:27:10 HKT 2018

Hi  Tom, all,

Ideally, sure, we could have a custom passphrase for each module, and
have that written into flash and printed on the back of the module
housing or on a printed card that comes in the box.  If that can
reasonably be provided in the manufacturing process flow, that would be
great.

But, I think, since the OVMS module will be a rather rare thing to see
in the wild, that having a default wifi WPA2 passphrase will prevent all
but the most devious and knowledgeable of passersby from getting into
the module and messing around before its owner does.  The passphrase -
same for all modules - would only be on in a printed card that comes
with the module, so as to not be discoverable online.  I think that
would be quite sufficient for this case, and would make recovery back to
factory defaults a lot easier since there's nothing that has to be
protected.  And, we still avoid more fuse burning, which I think is a
good thing.

The idea of having a 30 minute AP mode disable if not configured would
be fine.  Overkill in my view, but if you think it's necessary, go for it.

Greg