[Ovmsdev] Moving to a production cycle

Greg D. gregd2350 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 08:01:12 HKT 2018

Perhaps yes, but why?

If the objective is to eliminate having multiple SIMs and associated
payment (a worthy objective!), I think it would be better / safer to put
the one SIM in a mobile hotspot, and let everyone (OVMS and other
clients) connect to that.  That's what I am testing with the SyncUp
OBDII Dongle and the OBD2ECU task, and it seems to work.

The only issue I have is knowing when it is safe to turn off the
Dongle's power, and then how to turn it back on again.  I'm not sure
it's low enough power to just be on all the time, even given that all /
most / some EVs (yes?) have 12v systems that are refreshed automatically
from the main (BIG) battery pack.  The ovms module seems to run about
60ma; the SyncUp dongle adds another 150ma on top of that.  How much
drain is too much?

Greg