[Ovmsdev] python 2 / pyserial 3

Stephen Casner casner at acm.org
Sun Feb 25 04:23:36 HKT 2018

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018, Michael Balzer wrote:

> "make monitor" now also works.

Glad you fixed it.

> Btw: according to...
>   https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6908143/should-i-put-shebang-in-python-scripts-and-what-form-should-it-take
> ...the shebang "#!/usr/bin/env python" should not be used.

I don't claim to be a python programmer -- this was an instance of
"programming by example" following idf_monitor.py and esptool.py.

In the makefile the findcp2102 script is invoked as input to the
python binary, so initially I did not include any shebang.  But then
when I added the mode for running the tool by itself to get the list
of CP2102 devices, I figured the shebang would be useful.

Interestingly, "#!/usr/bin/env python3" does not work on my Mac
laptop, so I must not have python 3 installed.  I do remember needing
to install py27-serial when beginning the OVMSv3 work in late 2016.

What I see is this:

auge1> python
Python 2.7.13 (default, Apr 25 2017, 10:53:57)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 7.3.0 (clang-703.0.31)] on darwin
>>> import serial
>>> print serial.VERSION
3.0

I'm not sure how this situation compares to yours before the upgrade
you've just done.

                                                        -- Steve