[Ovmsdev] How can I help

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Sun Aug 5 15:57:56 HKT 2018

Robert,

thanks for joining and offering help on the documentation & support side.

Before beginning to work on improvements please first make sure you're up to date on existing features, documents and issues. These are the channels to know:

  * the github issues/todo list: https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/issues (+ iOS & Android app repositories)
      o + https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/blob/master/vehicle/OVMS.V3/knownissues.txt
      o + https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/blob/master/vehicle/OVMS.V3/todo.txt
  * the git log: https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/commits/master
      o + https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/blob/master/vehicle/OVMS.V3/changes.txt
  * the openvehicles.com site:
      o Forum: https://www.openvehicles.com/forum
      o Support area: https://www.openvehicles.com/support/openvehicles
  * the user guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16JrXR7rybp-18DrEoeh1rg6GqQT_jVBvhaXh2oEWRHw/edit
  * the developer guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q5M9Lb5jzQhJzPMnkMKwy4Es5YK12ACQejX_NWEixr0/edit

Noone I know of is currently focused on documentation / public presentation, and we can use some help there. The repository readme certainly could have an
update, it's still the v1 readme. There is no "formal" roadmap, as there is noone keeping books of ideas and todos. We're also rather building a city than a road.

Some beginner tutorial would be nice. That should come from real beginner questions & issues using the current version -- note most issues in the support area
were related to earlier versions. It seems the current version is already quite easy to use, first questions tend to become more specific now.