[Ovmsdev] openssh 6.7 cipher aes128-cbc

Robin O'Leary ovmsdev at caederus.org
Thu Apr 26 20:17:01 HKT 2018

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 11:39:18PM -0700, Stephen Casner wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2018, Robin O'Leary wrote:
> > OK, so that started me on quite an adventure in to compiler errors
> > and git submodules,
> Sorry, did my commit of an update to mongoose trip you up?

That was just one of several things, but one of the easily resolved ones!
Much more annoying was a mysterious error about an undefined reference to
"_impure_ptr", since that appears nowhere in the code.  I tracked it
down to the fprintf in wolfssh/src/log.c; I still don't understand why,
but I just commented it out, as ovms uses logFunction instead.

> Perhaps I
> should configure in the debug code for wolfssh and wolfssl by default
> so the extra logging can be enabled whenever it is needed.

Adding more calls to GetErrorString() in ssh.c is probably more helpful.
It would be good to have a menu config option to define DEBUG_WOLFSSH.

> WolfSSH also supports aes128-ctr and aes128-gcm, but I was warned that
> the latter is much more expensive in speed and memory, so I excluded
> it from the configuration for compilation.

I think there is full support for aes128-ctr in wolfssl/wolfcrypt, but
the places where it needs to be in wolfssh seem to be mostly missing.
I had a go at adding it, but I haven't got it working.  It does connect,
but auth always fails.  I haven't had chance to figure out why yet.