[Ovmsdev] Turned off commenting on the OVMS v3 User Guide

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Mon Apr 16 20:59:58 HKT 2018

> On the positive side: we can already see now how the system performs for normal users.

It was an ‘interesting’ weekend. Thanks for your help with the support.

My server is now showing 14 v3.x modules connected (2 of which are mine):

6 running 3.1.001/factory/main
4 running 3.1.003/ota_0/main
1 running 3.1.003-38-g435f516/factory/main
1 running 3.1.003-41-gc299c84-dirty/ota_0/ro1
2 running 3.1.003-48-g7cfbc35/ota_1/edge

We had about 6 people ask for help, and 14 got connected in the end. I think all but one that asked for help got connected ok. For experienced users, that support call ratio is way too high - mostly lack of documentation and issues with wifi settings being incorrectly set then unable to get back in.

Presumably you also have some connected to your server? I’m just looking for ‘build idf’ in the version string in ‘rx msg F’. How many did you get?

The 3.1.003/ota_0/main is the latest main firmware. But the 6x running 3.1.001/factory/main haven’t updated firmware. That is not good.

I think we should be able to release 3.1.004 ota tomorrow. I’ll then send out an eMail to all purchasers reminding them to (a) update, (b) use the help support system, and (c) some reminders (a faq based on what we’ve seen the past few days). Anything else to put in that eMail?

> I'll ask for qualified help on the forum.

I think expanding on the basics (in particular for windows) would be helpful. How to get a USB console connection. How to update firmware. How to diagnose network/modem issues (simcom status, network status, wifi status). etc. Perhaps a command-line USB console installation guide (to supplement the web admin based one)? We have about a month before the next batch will start to arrive, and that will be for less technically capable people.

Regards, Mark