[Ovmsdev] Lessons learnt, production batch #2 and onwards

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Tue Apr 24 00:29:55 HKT 2018

Craig,

the serial number has a major issue: it's lost once you do a factory reset. So we need to tell people "use this password for your first setup, UNLESS you've
done a factory reset, in which case you need to use that password". That's already too much to keep in mind for most of our current users.

There is no serial number in the ESP32, and the modem is optional, so we can't use that or the hologram SIM. We thought about burning a serial number into an
efuse, but that adds complexity and chance of failure to the QC procedure.

The smartphone app extension is a nice idea, but I'd rather consider that an option. The setup should be possible without.