[Ovmsdev] OVMS v3 getting started

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Sat Sep 30 06:38:33 HKT 2017

On 22/09/17 19:22, Mark Webb-Johnson wrote:
> For those of you about to receive OVMS v3 modules, and for others
> listening in, here is a ‘getting started’ guide.

I've got mine working on wifi with dexter's v2 server. I haven't tried
the cellular modem or a car module yet.

> Developer’s documentation is here:
>
>     https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q5M9Lb5jzQhJzPMnkMKwy4Es5YK12ACQejX_NWEixr0/edit?usp=sharing

I did my setup in an ubuntu xenial vagrant box. I might try a container
based on one of the one on the docker hub now that I've done it "natively".

A couple of gotchas:

Vehicle Firmware Development tools in the above google doc suggests
following the instructions at https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf but
then goes on to say refer to the documentation at
http://esp-idf.readthedocs.io/en/v2.1/get-started/index.html#standard-setup-of-toolchain
and be careful to get the right version of the documentation to get the
right version of the tools. I followed the first instructions and got
the latest version which doesn't work. When it didn't work I remembered
the note to ensure to follow the right version of the instructions.
Could you reverse the order of these, putting the readthedocs link first
and suggest following those instructions, and put the github link
afterwards as an aside.

On xenial you need to apt-get install linux-image-extra-4.4.0-96-generic
to get the cp210 serial port driver.

You have to update the "Default serial port" to /dev/ttyUSB0 in "Serial
flasher config" in make menuconfig so that make flash can find the
serial port.

http://esp-idf.readthedocs.io/en/latest/get-started/idf-monitor.html has
some useful instructions about the monitor, notably ctrl-] quits.

Thank you Mark for bringing this together -- it looks like a very
capable platform. Basic vehicle support looks pretty easy to port over,
hopefully I'll have some leaf code to contribute later this week.

How do we manipulate the other can buses? I see
MyPcpApp.FindDeviceByName("can1"); in the Tesla Roadster code, is there
a can0 or a can2? How are they mapped to the hardware?