[Ovmsdev] Newbie question & initial report

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Fri Oct 6 17:25:08 HKT 2017

> Q: How do I convince git to update the esp-idf branch?

I tried the following (from developer’s guide):

$ git clone https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf.git <https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf.git>
$ cd esp-idf
$ git branch -a
* master
  remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
  remotes/origin/feature/psram_malloc
  remotes/origin/master
  remotes/origin/release/v2.0
  remotes/origin/release/v2.1
$ git checkout remotes/origin/release/v2.1
$ git branch
* (HEAD detached at origin/release/v2.1)
  master
$ git submodule update --init

That seemed ok, and a straight git pull on that origin seems to work:

$ git pull origin release/v2.1
From https://github.com/openvehicles/esp-idf <https://github.com/openvehicles/esp-idf>
 * branch            release/v2.1 -> FETCH_HEAD
Already up-to-date.

(Note, I’m using the openvehicles fork, but it should be the same)

Or, a ‘git fetch’ may be simpler:

$ git fetch -v
From https://github.com/openvehicles/esp-idf <https://github.com/openvehicles/esp-idf>
 = [up to date]      feature/psram_malloc -> origin/feature/psram_malloc
 = [up to date]      master     -> origin/master
 = [up to date]      release/v2.0 -> origin/release/v2.0
 = [up to date]      release/v2.1 -> origin/release/v2.1

There may be a better way (I’m far from a git expert), but that is how I do it.

> * I don’t know whether Mark had to manually install the OVMS v3 firmware on each of these preliminary units, or if the assembly / manufacturing process is already set up to install an initial firmware on new boards. Either way, it’s nice that it didn’t arrive with a blank Flash!

The manufacturer is setup and used these 10 as a trial run to do the eFuse burning, and factory firmware burning. I also did it, with latest, to be 100% certain the 10 were ok before sending out. This is why I’ve been scrambling to get OTA working. If we can get that done, then it becomes a simple ‘ota flash http’ command to do an over-the-air update. Desperately trying to get a workable first firmware together, as feature rich as possible, to serve as factory firmware - the updates can come over the air, so long as the basic factory firmware supports it.

On that topic, I’d appreciate it if those of you with the latest firmware (today’s) can try a ‘ota flash http’ and see if it works for you. You’ll need to do a ‘ota boot factory’ afterwards, to make sure it boots from factory partition, afterwards (as normally ‘ota flash http’ will switch to ota partition after a successful flash).

Regards, Mark