[Ovmsdev] V3 CAN frames missing last four data bytes

Collin Kidder collink at kkmfg.com
Thu Oct 26 21:52:27 HKT 2017

Would the DBC format be of use here? It seems you primarily want to
store mappings between data items and where they can be found within
CAN messages. That's exactly what DBC files do. If you stored data
definitions in DBC you could load the proper one for the car and parse
the file to get all of the definitions. There are already lots of DBC
files floating around for all sorts of cars. They don't tend to change
the message format much between years and cars (unless you're Tesla -
they sure seem to have a lot of different formats for CAN messages
between cars, regions, and years).

The problem is that it isn't geared toward polled data. The OBDII/UDS
polled system is completely separate. But then most cars I've seen
conform fairly closely to UDS for polled traffic so perhaps a second
format that specifies the service/subfunction could work?

Just observations from the outside looking in. I've done a lot with
DBC files so I'm inclined to think in that direction.