[Ovmsdev] OVMS v3 First Board Layout

Stephen Casner casner at acm.org
Thu Mar 30 13:33:08 HKT 2017

Mark,

I like the reliability of sticking with the 5V CAN transceiver.  Why
not structure the power system to use one switching power supply to go
from +12V to 5V and another to go from 5V (originating from +12V or
from USB) to 3.3V?  The Raspberry Pi typically gets power from USB;
the Model B+ needs both 3.3V and 1.8V which are provided by a tiny,
high-efficiency dual buck converter chip.  I tested pulling an extra
100mA from 3.3V and did not notice any significant heat from any of
the power supply components.

See the following for a description of the old RPi circuit that used a
simple but hot regulator and a comparison to the new circuit:

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-the-raspberry-pi-model-b-plus-plus-differences-vs-model-b/power-supply

That article also mentions (but does not fully explain) the use of a
MOSFET instead of a diode for power supply routing.

Regarging external connectors, I did not know a second connector was
planned.  However, using a higher-density connector makes sense these
days.  I've handled many DB-25 connectors for RS-232 serial in years
past, but those seem positively gigantic now.

BTW, I think it is a DE9-M, not DB9-M.

                                                        -- Steve