[Ovmsdev] OBD-II dongle message mapping for EVs

Greg D. gregd2350 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 02:03:07 HKT 2017

Hi Mark,

I agree that customization would be best, but I know these sorts of
devices are very resource limited.  What would you like me to optimize
around?  What do we have in the v3 version in terms of code space vs
config info (and its user interface) vs RAM vs CPU speed?  Is config
(flash?) storage accessed directly, or is there a file system?  The
current translator is just a set of nested case statements (thus using
code space, zero config, and almost no RAM), but could be done in other
ways now that I understand how OBD-II works.

Also, if the primary interest is in driving a HUD display, that would be
great to know, as it defines the use-case that I can focus on.  If
anyone has a favorite example, please let me know.  My experience with
the SyncUp dongle reveals that these things are pretty loosely coded
(read: buggy) compared to the standards, so any particular commercial
product may take some fussing with to get running properly.  Which, of
course supports the need for customization...

My fingers are at your command...

Greg