[Ovmsdev] SIM808/SIM908 GPS accuracy

Edward Cheeseman cheesemanedward at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 10:00:04 HKT 2017

Float gets slightly worse when it gets multiplied by 3600*2048.

180*3600*2048 = 1327104000, represented in IEEE754 as 0x4E9E3400. 0x4E9E33FF is 1327103872, 128 less, giving a resolution of 1.9meters
Every calculation with float can cause 1m order errors. Having resolution in the centimetre range puts calculation error well under the inaccuracy of the GPS.

This is still only critical if you need to know which lane you are in :)

Oh, good time to point out that C18 actually doesn’t follow IEEE754 exactly: rather than the usual [sign, exponent, fraction] notation, it swaps the bit order to [exponent, sign, fraction].
I can kind of see why - with the 8bit processor, having the 8 bit exponent aligned with the MSbyte could save a number of bit shift operations among many other byte aligned actions.
Sign becomes the MSB of the three remaining bytes.
I wonder if this is the source of error in the original atof()?