[Ovmsdev] SIM808/SIM908 GPS accuracy

HONDA S-2000 s2000 at audiobanshee.com
Tue Feb 7 05:53:11 HKT 2017

Hi Edward,

32-bit float does indeed store 23 bits of significand, but there is an additional implicit bit, making the total 24 bits. When you also consider the separate sign bit, 32-bit float has as much precision as a 25-bit signed fixed-point integer.

Adjusting your math without any other adjustments, that would imply a resolution of 1.2 meters and perhaps 2.5 meters unrounded.

However, I don't quite follow your calculations since floating point always carries a certain number of significant digits, regardless of the exponent. Can you show why the circumference divided by a fixed precision would reflect the ability and precision of a floating point calculation? It's a snowy day here, and I don't have my floating point thinking cap...

Brian