[Ovmsdev] Modem power consumption

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Sun Dec 17 17:19:06 HKT 2017

I've never managed to even power on the simcom from my standard USB 2.0 port, so I've had it on a powered hub all the time.

From the SIM5360 hardware design docs:

> For the VBAT, the ripple due
> to GSM/GPRS emission burst (every 4.615ms)may cause voltage drop, and the current consumption rises
> typically to peak of 2A. So the power supply must be able to provide sufficient current up to more than 2A.

So HSPA data transmission + GPS may add up to 550 - 620 mA, and the supply needs to cope with the bursts.

The modem operates at 3.8 V (?), so the 5 V load will be lower, but the ESP and peripherals add.

USB 2.0 is spec'd at 500 mA, 3.0 at 900 mA.

Can someone measure the actual current consumption? My multimeters are far too slow.