[Ovmsdev] OVMS v3?

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Thu Aug 3 11:08:57 HKT 2017

> The power issues have probably been a very rewarding learning experience.

In hindsight, yes. At the time, peering through a microscope while trying to de-solder a single pin on a micro-sized surface mount component where my smallest solder tip was the size of three pins; a PITA.

> The plastic enclosure seems great for Bluetooth and WiFi, but do you think there will be any FCC/CE issues?

Perhaps. The wifi/bluetooth antenna is at the end of the WROOM-32 module we use. We can arrange that at the side of the case. We had four options:

Use a metal shell enclosure like we do currently for v2, but change to plastic end-caps. The supplier wasn’t happy with this, and anyway the radio signal became a bit ‘directional’.
Modify the existing WROOM-32 modules, to add an external antenna. We lose certification of the module itself.
Use a WROOM-32 module with antenna connection, then an external antenna. Those modules don’t have certification.
Use a plastic case

I think for the moment, we’ll have to live with our choice of #4. It seems the least of four evils. If it becomes an issue when we go through certification, we can always add a metal shielding onto the board itself. That seems to be what pretty much everyone does anyway.

Regards, Mark.