[Ovmsdev] OVMS v3 Design Outline

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Sat Nov 5 10:56:21 HKT 2016

Michael,

In most markets, a pay-as-you-go SIM will be cheaper for larger data capacities. Just more of a hassle to setup - particularly for novice users. That netzclub sim is a hell of an offer for OVMS users - I wonder when they will realise that this might be used by IoT devices?

The plan is to swallow the (minimal) cost and just include a Hologram SIM in new modules, for easy and simple activation. The SIMs are provided unactivated and can sit like that for years without being used. Once they are activated, then the US$0.40/month parking fee would start.

If the Hologram.IO SIM is never used, that is fine. We’ll continue to support any SIM that the user wants to use - as before just need to put in the APN details.

Regards, Mark.