[Ovmsdev] Storing Calibration Data

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Sun May 8 08:14:52 HKT 2016

On 05/08/2016 11:45 AM, Tom Saxton wrote:
> Can we get the VIN from the EV CAN bus? I know it's on the Car CAN bus, but I'm behind on the current state of knowledge on what's know about getting info from the EV Bus.

https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System/blob/e4213e9396d4cad3884a3e3ba388e4b2b3bf79ef/vehicle/OVMS.X/vehicle_nissanleaf.c#L65
decodes the VIN but on my car at least, it doesn't work. There
associated poll requests set up in
https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System/blob/e4213e9396d4cad3884a3e3ba388e4b2b3bf79ef/vehicle/OVMS.X/vehicle_nissanleaf.c#L267
cause a relay to go click every 30s or so while the car is charging, so
it's doing something, but on my car, not the right thing.

In my branch I disabled the poll requests to stop the relay clicking and
haven't come back to look at why it doesn't work yet.

> I suspect the battery size is encoded in the VIN, but from some poking around online I'm guessing that encoding is in the Leaf service manual, which is behind a pay wall.

The earlier manuals are at
https://carmanuals2.com/brand/nissan/leaf-2012-372 and I can't find a
VIN decode in them, but maybe my search fu is weak.