[Ovmsdev] net.c SOC alert obsolete?

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Sun May 8 06:59:27 HKT 2016

On 05/07/2016 03:58 AM, Michael Balzer wrote:
> I thought about using FEATURE_CB_SVALERTS for this as well -- no need
> to introduce a separate alert class IMO.
>
> But this really has no priority, just one user wondered why he got an
> SOC alert he did not configure... I think he'll be fine to accept it
> as a hard coded feature as well.

The leaf vehicle generates an SMS on startup if the OVMS starts up while
the car is switched off (because there is no SOC information on the can
bus when the car is off). With my telco, SMS's are cheap but
dramatically more expensive per byte than packet data, so I added

   // initialize SOC and SOC alert limit to avoid SMS on startup
   car_SOC = car_SOCalertlimit = 2;

to vehicle_nissanleaf_initialise(). This makes the alert on start up go
away but preserves the original functionality.

I guessed 2% was a suitable threshold. For the leaf, a fixed number of
gids rather than a % SOC is probably a better way to do it -- then the
alarm goes off when the battery has a certain amount of energy in it.

I'm working up a pull request for this change and more.