[Ovmsdev] SIM808 not communicating

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Thu Jul 21 19:24:30 HKT 2016

Hi,

I've got one of the new OVMS modules with the SIM808 cellular module to
put in a friends car and I'm having some trouble making it work.

It does get a GPS location, I haven't included that in the transcript
below. I'm reasonably sure I'm using the SIM808 firmware instead of the
SIM908 firmware. I'm using the SIM card that is working in my older
module with SIM908.

I see the following on the serial port when I send it the register command:

AT+CGNSINF
+CGNSINF: 1,0,20160717082302.000,,,,0.00,0.0,0,,,,,,2,0,,,34,,

OK
AT+CREG?;+CIPSTATUS;+CCLK?;+CSQ
+CREG: 1,1

STATE: IP INITIAL

+CCLK: "04/01/01,00:07:42+48"

+CSQ: 19,0

OK

+CMT: "+<my cell phone
number>","","16/07/17,20:23:36+48",145,4,0,0,"+<some other cell phone
number>",145,13
REGISTER OVMS
AT+CMGS="+<my cell phone number>"
 > Your phone has been registered as the owner.
ERROR
AT+CREG?;+CIPSTATUS;+CCLK?;+CSQ
+CREG: 1,1

STATE: IP INITIAL

I went through the setup process using the diag port for feedback
instead of the sms responses and switched on the GPRS, which didn't work
either:

AT+CLPORT="TCP","6867"
OK
AT+CIPSTART="TCP","api.openvehicles.com","6867"
OK

CONNECT OK
AT+CIPSENDMP-C 0 QRG/M9iLIp+XEVajAB2v8t JIBS2rw2cub6ssu5QY4C7Q== xxxxxx

DATA ACCEPT:63

CLOSED
AT+CIPCLOSE
ERROR

Any thoughts? I haven't yet looked communications of my working module
to compare. Does anyone have a firmware or tutorial that sends a fixed
sms message to test the cellular module?