[Ovmsdev] OVMS v3 - Microcontroller

Mastro Gippo gipmad at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 22:29:39 HKT 2016

 Well, to add my 2c, I've been working on a new version of the my own
"OVMS" I talked about earlier with a LPC1768. I chose that MCU as it's
better supported by the mbed with easy USB libraries. Mbed is disappointing
me too lately, but that chip is well supported by FreeRTOS too and other
toolchains are available.
I think that a USB/serial/SD bootloader can reduce flash needs (I have
512k), as multi-car firmware will not be needed as users can upload a
different version easily. I have a microSD expansion slot for logging and
various storage.
I'm still using a GPRS module, because here in eu I see no signs of that
being discontinued anytime soon, and I can't find a 3G-4G module small
enough. The GPS is a Ublox 7.
The board is 4x2cm and can be directly stacked on top of an OBD connector.
I was also planning on a LoRa/sigfox connection, but they're not exactly
"realtime" (a Sigfox packet can take up to 6 minutes to reach the server).
I think that kinetics are still not user-friendly enough, and that was my
main reason to stick with something mbed/arduino compatible to allow more
developers to make changes.
Pic: http://www.mastrogippo.it/ct-1.jpg

Regards
MG