[Ovmsdev] OVMS v3 - Microcontroller

HONDA S-2000 s2000 at audiobanshee.com
Thu Feb 4 06:15:21 HKT 2016

I agree with the basic idea of a low-power CAN bridge/gateway. It might even make sense to keep it simple with only serial connections to expander boards, whether USB, SPI, or something along those lines.

Radio - whether WiFi or cellular - seems to add a lot in terms of power requirements, not to mention the restrictions on placement within the car and the casing so that radio waves are not blocked. Is it absolutely necessary to have radio on the base model?

In any event, lots of on-board storage is a good idea, whether it's CPU Flash or external. The external can be SMD on the board, or removable cards. Putting an extra parallel or serial Flash chip on board could be a lot cheaper than having a removable card, but I haven't done price comparisons.

Basically, I think that a design like the Raspberry Pi, with it's full operating system, is quite a bit overkill in terms of power and capability. A much smaller system seems to make more sense, provided that 2 to 4 CAN busses are possible. I'm open to any design so long as it's not power hungry, because I don't want it draining the battery.

I still have one of the OVMS v2 models, but I must confess that I've not done any development with it despite having lots of Microchip PIC programming experience.

Brian