[Ovmsdev] Nissan Leaf + Dev Environment

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Sun Feb 14 16:42:40 HKT 2016

Hi,

I just got an OVMS for my 2012 Japanese Domestic Manufacture Nissan
Leaf. I also ordered the Leaf OBDII cable:
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1779000 in my left hand drive car, this cable
points towards the driver rather than towards the front of the car, I
wonder if it's possible to rotate the socket in the car to make the
cable point the other way?

I didn't have any trouble setting up and communicating via the app or
SMS on New Zealand's 2degrees cell network.

I programmed the 2.6.5 firmware as recommended by the "Firmware
Easy-Install" link on https://www.openvehicles.com/ which turned out to
be a mistake. This I think this firmware expects the Car CAN bus but the
Leaf OBDII cable connects the EV CAN bus. For a while I thought I had
faulty hardware but the soldering looked good and when I took my
oscilloscope out to the car and found CAN data entering the PIC
microcontroller.

It turns out the 2.6.5 firmware is old and you need a later one to work
with the EV CAN bus on the Leaf cable. I'm not entirely sure how I
missed that, I just checked out the tag without looking at the other tags.

I installed
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/MPLABX-v3.20-linux-installer.tar
and
//bitbucket.org/simbuckone/simbuckbaseproject/downloads/mplabc18-v3.40-linux-full-installer.run
(and verified the md5sum matches
http://www.microchip.com/forums/m662617.aspx for whatever that is worth)
and have a working development environment and have built and programmed
master into my unit and everything seems to be working.

Thank you all for your work on this project, I'll post again about
improving the leaf support (I do embedded development in my spare time).
The cars intended for the Japanese market have CARWINGS, but the
telematics module doesn't work in New Zealand (incompatible cell network
apparently).