[Ovmsdev] OVMS v3 - Microcontroller

Arthur Hebert ahebert at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 04:46:38 HKT 2016

It's true, there is some complexity, and I do assume multiplexing the SPI
bus(es). Each additional CAN port would need 2 I/O pins (CS and interrupt)
in addition to the single set of shared SPI pins (MISO/MOSI/SCK). My
thinking is that it's a lot easier to source an MCU with plenty of
interrupt pins than to source one with plenty of CAN buses.

If an off-the-shelf CAN-SPI module will suffice (here's two more:
http://modtronix.com/im1can.html and
http://www.amazon.com/Quentacy%C2%AE-MCP2515-TJA1050-Receiver-controller/dp/B0152VCIA6),
then the BOM doesn't have to explode. The BOM would need some additional
header pins/sockets to receive the module, which I assume are already in
the BOM for other modular items.

While vehicle CAN buses are fast and busy, a handful of the many IDs is all
that's needed (in my experience). With proper masks and filters set at
boot-time, the hardware will ignore the bulk of CAN traffic without costing
the MCU a single extra processor cycle.

With the complexity, I admit it's not the most appealing solution I can
dream of. Yet, I think it's feasible and therefore worth considering if the
design process finds itself in a corner at some point.