[Ovmsdev] OVMS v3 - Microcontroller

Julien Banchet jaxx at jaxx.org
Tue Feb 2 15:34:48 HKT 2016

Hi,

I love the OpenCV part, though I'll have to find a way to retofit
powersteering and brake actuators in a Twizy, that said, it all shoots way
beyond the scope of OVMS (even a v4/v5) imho... but, but, but... an OVMS
module shall be the bridge and the low-level comms offloader for an
optionnal "Hyper Smart OpenCV Dashboard Music Streaming thingy" that a
sister project can take over :-) (my opinion again)

So yeah, It needs to be beefy, and the ESP32 seems to be a nice candidate
and embeds by itself a nice load of functions (Wifi and BLE!)
http://www.pighixxx.com/test/2015/12/esp32-processor-pinout/

It has no CAN, but it has SPI (can't tell how many on this pinout) and
plenty of HS GPIOs for native or soft UARTs. Having 2 CANbuses shouldn't be
an issue (I'll let those who fathomed that more than me tell me wrong
otherwise)

I don't believe everyone needs a 2/3/4G stack, not counting that those
radios end up being the big bucks of the BOM.

Instead, would it be possible to envision a naked board with an extension
bus and i2c, interrupts, multiplexed (or not) enable and power lanes? (an
edge fitted socket for example, each extension board presents another
socket)

The motivation for this particular request is:
- It lowers the base cost, with knowledge it can be enhanced, and still
carries Wifi+BTBLE for local connectivity with an ESP32
- I doubt my Twizy will ever be stolen to be brought out of LoRa range, and
those networks are being deployed quickly, no need for power hungry GSM
stacks (that empty my Twizys' 12V battery in 3 days, driving me nuts by the
way)
- I might want a home brewed I2C GPIO extender on it, a socket makes it
easy to make (or a stepper motor drivers to pilot a paintball gun turret
fitted on the roof and shoot *ssholes)
- The hypothetical day I upgrade to a Tesla 3, I can add that 5G Module
that wasn't out yet ;-)

Just thoughts,

JaXX