[Ovmsdev] OVMS update

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at openvehicles.com
Wed Dec 14 20:38:32 HKT 2016

> - Do you forsee a data envelope  to have on the mobile provider ? (payload * rythme might go up) I suppose most of the things can(/will) be configurable on the backend/provisionning side ("discard this"/"limit these to once an hour”…)

We are hoping to be able to control reporting with better granularity. Data usage will probably have to go up (MQQT is not as efficient as our proprietary protocol), but we can offset that by smarter usage of the cellular network as well as use of wifi where available.

> - Will the backend be rewritten? I suppose it will have to, as this is nothing alike before... What language will it be based on? Honestly, I have loved Perl in the past, and even though I'm far from being Python fluent, the latter might be a better pick in terms of adoption.

We are planning on using a standard MQTT backend. Currently working with mosquito. There are some ancillary scripts, but not too many.

Regards, Mark