[Ovmsdev] net.c SOC alert obsolete?

Michael Balzer dexter at expeedo.de
Wed Apr 20 17:20:19 HKT 2016

Brian,

I was not thinking about removing both SOC alerts,
just the fixed one, and maybe then default the
configurable to 5%.

Self discharging rates are very low on lithium
cells in general, and the BMS will normally cut
off the battery long before reaching critical
voltage levels, leaving several months of self
discharging without damage. All third party BMS
systems I checked during the last year or so
support this.

I understood from reading a web report on this,
that the roadster BMS does not cut off the battery
by a relais, the car electronics will continue
operation until the battery is dead. The first gen
Twizy has the same problem on the 12V aux battery,
that's why I introduced the 12V alert. That's also
a bug, consequences are just not as expensive.

I don't need the low SOC alert at all, I use the
car nearly every day (the Twizy is my only car), I
always know the SOC and take care to charge it up
as soon as possible, to keep cycles shallow and
charge while the battery is warm. Parking at 100%
SOC is also no problem on the Twizy, as the 100%
mark is at ~ 4.12 V per cell, well below spec max.

But the situation is of course different when
you've got plenty of capacity and fast charging
capability.