[Ovmsdev] Ampera details

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Fri Jan 30 08:20:26 HKT 2015

> if I plug into the OVMS diag port can I read the Canbus messages ?

Nope. Well, it can _read_ them, but can't output them in any usable way. The DIAG port is just a tap into the comms between the modem and the PIC microcontroller.

> Secondly, how can I send commands to the car via OVMS ?

Typically the commands need to be hard-coded into the firmware.

The voltampera module does implement net_msg command #46 (see vehicle_voltampera_fn_commandhandler.c), which allows a remote app to request a specific extended PID, but that is very limited.

The OVMS v1 and v2 hardware module is really just intended to work in the car reading and writing messages as per its firmware. It is not much use as a CAN bus analyser or reverse engineering tool - for that you need a USB CAN adaptor of some sort.

Regards, Mark.