[Ovmsdev] Leaf info?

Lee OVMS ovmsdev at varga.co.uk
Fri Feb 6 07:53:06 HKT 2015

Hi All,

I'm Lee, I've just picked up an OVMS unit from Kevin Sharpe, with a view
to doing some development for the Nissan Leaf.

So I've got a few questions I'd like to ask/clarify surrounding the
current state of OVMS on the Leaf if I may.

Does the current firmware include all the stuff found during last years
Hack-a-Leaf day in the UK?
Either way, are there any notes from the day that may help me get up to
speed? Or pointers as to directions to head in?

Is the "Leaf ODB-II" cable that FastTech now sell different to the old
ODB2 left/right cables?
Can the older cable be modified into a Leaf cable?
I assume the new firmware needs this new Leaf cable?

Does the Leaf firmware use the internal GPS from the car or is it better
to get an external GPS antenna plugged directly into the OVMS module?

What programmer should I buy? The PicKit 2 or the PicKit 3?
I've read the 2 is easier to use, but I need the 3 if I'm developing and
it's more complicated. Is this still the case?
If it's the 2, does anyone have the software, as it's gone from
Microchips site (seems to be discontinued).
If it's the 3, is there a similar guide to using the 2 covering the
extra complexity?

Does anyone have a modifiable form of the Tesla Roadster User Guide PDF?
As I'd like to convert it into the Leaf User Guide, but it gets a little
bit broken when I edit it in LibreOffice.
On the same note, the Twizy Guide appears to be a broken link on the site.

Is there is decent/easy to understand ODBII spec/site somewhere that is
being used to get cribs/pointers to reverse engineering the recorded
CANbus chatter? Or is it just knowledge in devs heads? :(

Lastly does the CAN Re Tool work OK with the Leaf? As there are mentions
Tesla rules in the other files?

I thin k that will do for now, more questions as I run into problems! :)

All the best,
Lee