[Ovmsdev] OVMS and the Nissan LEAF

Tom Saxton tom at idleloop.com
Wed Aug 12 03:38:35 HKT 2015

> Nissan LEAF owners have Carwings

Sure, that's true today in some parts of the world, but...

1. Carwings is terrible. It's slow, unreliable, and doesn't give the type of
data owners want and we know is available on the CAN bus.

2. It was supposed to be free for three years. Our 2011 Leaf is coming up on
four years old and so far no word about Carwings transitioning to being
paid.

3. Carwings depends on GPRS at least in the US
<https://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/charging-range/disclaimers.htm
l> .

The minute Carwings either dies with GPRS or becomes a paid service, there
are going to be a lot of LEAF owners looking for an alternative.

There are third party solutions that provide owners with data via Bluetooth,
but they require either a cheap OBD-Bluetooth and an Android device, or a
more expensive (and presumably power-hungry) OBD-WiFi device and an iPhone.
As far as I know, there is no cellular-enabled solution.

LEAF US Sales History:

2010: 19
2011: 9,674
2012: 9,819