[Ovmsdev] OVMS v3

Mark Webb-Johnson mark at webb-johnson.net
Tue Sep 30 22:32:33 HKT 2014

OK. I’ve completed an (exhausting, taken up far too many evenings over the past three months) review of what is available. Below are my summary conclusions on each of the hardware platforms I’ve tried.

This eMail just shows the five options. The follow-up eMail explains which one I think is best, and why. I’ve provided links for further reading, and am willing to answer questions on any.

Regards, Mark.

1] PIC32 (I tried UBW32 devkit, based on PIC32MX795)

http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?product=PIC32MX795F512L
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9713

Specification:

PIC32MX795 32bit CPU @80MHz
128KB of RAM
512KB of Flash
USB Bootloader (with special client OS software for firmware upload)
2xCAN
Embedded design
Power consumption: 120mA (@5V) = 0.6W

Pros: Cheap, dual CAN, low power with plenty of lower power modes.
Cons: Microchip Toolchain, Microchip proprietary libraries, steep learning curve.

Similar to what we are doing today with OVMS v1 and v2 - just a more powerful CPU with more ram + flash.

Biggest drawback is the horrible proprietary Microchip development environment and libraries.

2] BeagleBone Black

http://beagleboard.org/black

Specification:

AM335x ARM® Cortex-A8 @1GHz
512MB of RAM
4GB of Flash
USB plug-and-play disk
No CAN
Linux O/S
Power consumption: 300mA - 450mA (@5V) = 1.5W - 2.25W

Pros: Plenty of RAM+Flash, plug-and-play.
Cons: Power consumption, complex low-power modes, lack of CAN although better connectivity that Pi.

The idea here is that we use the beagle bone black as the base, then add our stuff as a plug-in board (called ‘cape’) on top.

I like this one, but the biggest drawback is power consumption. We’d also have a lot of messing about to do with the kernel to get support for anything other than USB.

3] Raspberry Pi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

Specification:

ARM1176JZF-S (ARMv6k) @700MHz
256MB or 512MB of RAM
Flash via SD-Card
No USB plug-and-play or disk mode
No CAN
Linux O/S
Power consumption: 400mA (@5V) = 1.5W - 2.0W

Pros: Cheap for Linux.
Cons: Power consumption, complex low-power modes, lack of CAN and poor expansion.

The idea here is that we use the raspberry pi as the base, then add our stuff as a plug-in board on top. Alternatively, there is also the Raspberry Pi compute platform, which would plug into our board just like the CM-T355 below.

Biggest drawback is power consumption, and lack of I/O. The beagle bone black really seems to beat out the Raspberry Pi for connectivity options.

4] CM-T335 Compute Module

http://compulab.co.il/products/computer-on-modules/cm-t335/#specs

Specification:

Texas Instruments AM3354 CPU @600MHz
128MB to 512MB of RAM
128MB to 1GB Flash
No USB plug-and-play or disk mode
Up to 2x CAN
Optional WIFI+Bluetooth on-board
Linux O/S
Power consumption: 40mA - 120mA (@12V) = 0.5W - 1.5W

Pros: Embedded Linux, dual CAN, built-in-wifi+bluetooth.
Cons: Complex low-power modes, restricted I/O options.

The idea here is that we build our own base board with all the I/O we need, and plug in this module to provide the compute power (and wifi/bluetooth connectivity).

Biggest drawback is price, and restrictive options on I/O connectivity.

5] MBED (Freescale freedom FRDM-K64F)

https://mbed.org/platforms/FRDM-K64F/

Specification:

Freescale K64F Kinetis K64 MCU (MK64FN1M0VLL12) @120MHz
256KB of RAM
1MB of Flash
USB plug-and-play (both disk and serial, although serial needs driver for windows)
1xCAN
Embedded design
Power consumption: 190mA (@5V) = 1W

Pros: Plenty of RAM+Flash, plug-and-play disk + serial, RTOS, low barrier to entry.
Cons: Only single CAN, dual CPU arrangement.

The idea here is that we use our own board, based on the open source schematics of this one. This would be a reference design that we would tweak to do what we need.

Biggest drawback here is complexity. We’ve got to build it all ourselves.

ENDS