[Ovmsdev] How to get a quick and reliable GPS fix

Arthur Hebert ahebert at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 04:45:26 HKT 2014

Thanks! That's great info Mark, and I hadn't thought about how much longer
it would take to fix when the GPS is moving in a car. I'm currently trying
out doing the cold reset only when the device is first powered on, and then
no GPS resets after that. So far it seems to work really well for picking
up the GPS fix when the car has been parked for a brief period, but not
after it's been parked for half a day. Since it lost the GPS fix, the
module hasn't picked it up again for a whole day now, and I'm suspecting
that it might need a GPSRST=1 command. If that's true, then my next
investigation will be to figure out *when* it makes sense to use a warm
start.

I have a stationary bench test measuring the time-to-first-fix across
permutations of [cold/warm/no-reset, time-with-GPSPWR-off, SCLK=0/SCLK=2]
between GPS power-cycles. It will take 2~4 weeks to complete because of the
long time delays involved. If there's anything to learn from it, I'll share
it here.

Responding to your bullet points:

   - Yes, I have added a state to put it into sleep mode. The trigger for
   it is that it's awake (AT+SCLK=0) whenever there is CAN activity, which is
   basically when the car is on or charging.

   - Yes, the SIM908 handles SMS perfectly while in AT+CSCLK=2 mode. It
   goes into a low-power state, but automatically comes into normal operation
   when it receives an SMS. As long as the firmware responds to the SMS within
   a few seconds of receiving it, then the device is still awake to handle the
   response. Afterward it goes back into a low-power state when there has been
   no RS232 activity for several seconds. The beauty of this is that the
   firmware doesn't need to wake it up just to handle an SMS message. When it
   is time to finally wake the module for normal operation, the firmware needs
   to send some characters (I use "AT\r") on the RS232 line and wait a second
   for it to wake up enough to respond to the command: AT+CSCLK=0.

   - Here are some current measurements I've taken on the 12V line.
   Note 1: I'm not using the TCP connection
   Note 2: I'm keeping both LEDs off (each LED adds 7mA to the current draw)

   *Normal operation* (AT+CSCLK=0 and AT+CGSPPWR=1): *120mA*
   *Normal w/GPS off* (AT+CSCLK=0 and AT+CGPSPWR=0): *56mA*
   *Sleep mode *(AT+CSCLK=2 and AT+CGPSPWR=0): *37mA*

   - I have all of the above low-power modes working in my code and it
   helps to save the battery from going dead. The code is intertwined with
   proprietary stuff for my client, so I can't share it right now. My client
   is appreciative of the OVMS to build upon, so I'll bring it up with them to
   see if I can share part or all of it when the project is finished.

-Arthur