[Ovmsdev] Open Charge Map

Christopher Cook christopher.cook at webprofusion.com
Sat May 24 08:28:49 HKT 2014

Thanks Tom, we can chase that up, or alternatively if you know people at
these networks you're welcome to invite them to join OCM as a data
provider (just CC myself and J-C Saint-Po) -  we are generally trying to
convince them to donate their information under a CC BY S-A 3.0 license
(http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/) but we'll consider
other terms as long as it means we can redistribute the information via
our API etc.

In general most US stations have come from either the DOE AFDC system or
from Carstations.com (and these would probably have been a point of
reference for other map providers as well). It would generally be better
for OCM to pull from the networks own data sets however these are often
locked into systems we're not permitted to copy from. Historically we've
been flexible about our data sources (so OCM data has mixed data
licensing terms which can be seen in the Data Provider section of each
POI) but we're now pretty strict about getting explicit permission - for
instance we got permission yesterday to redistribute another 600
Canadian locations under an open data license.

De-duplication is a big and surprisingly complicated problem. Currently
we will try not to add stations which are within 100m of each other
specifically because it may just be the same location described
differently. In general stations from the same network are grouped under
1 POI with multiple equipment details entries.

The absolute best way to get the information correct is for you to edit
things when you see that they're wrong, or add information if you see
it's not there. I realise that's where it gets frustrating because you
end up having to enter stuff into all the various apps you use.

Thanks for the offer of the perl script, we have a fairly standardised
import mechanism (written in C#, which is similar to Java) which you can
see here (excuse the mess, several of these providers are not used):
https://github.com/openchargemap/ocm-system/tree/master/Import/OCM.Import.Common/Providers

Chris