[Ovmsdev] Open Charge Map

Tom Saxton tom at idleloop.com
Sat May 24 05:06:57 HKT 2014

I expect that grouping by geofencing will be helpful, but there will be
problems, so I think it's important to retain the original
longitude/latitude coordinates.

Consider Bellevue Square (700 Bellevue Way NE, Bellevue, WA 98004). There
are five separate charging sites all within a 300 meter radius circle and
all in covered parking garages so GPS coordinates will be spotty at best
(probably a reading from before the vehicle entered the garage). Two of the
sites are 5 feet apart and yet so different they should be treated
separately (four 208V/30A public ChargePoint stations and a Tesla-only area
with one each Model S and Roadster 208V/70A HPWC). None of the maps I
checked (OCM, PlugShare, ChargePoint, US DOE) has it right even if we allow
lumping the Tesla stations and ChargePoint stations together.

For example, in OCM the pin for OCM-4350 is in the wrong place by about 100m
(and is marked as private restricted access). OCM-4310 is in the right place
for a nearby site, correctly marked as public, but only reports 2 stations
when there are four. OCM-4311 looks like a duplicate of OCM-4310 but is in
the wrong place by about 50 m and says it's private restricted access. I
could be charging at OCM-4350 and even if I had perfect GPS coordinates by
some miracle, I'd be closer to the arguably bogus OCM-4311 location. Any
attempt to map from the OCM site record to another vendor's site database
will definitely fail.

So I vote for not geofencing; let the charge map folks do that (perhaps with
help from the OVMS app user). It would be great to have a way to map each
report to a charge site ID as long as that's flexible enough to allow IDs
from multiple map vendors. If I'm using OCM, I'd want to map to an OCM site
ID. If I'm using another map, I want to be able to associate my report with
their ID.

I'm really looking forward to having a charging station map that will let me
find, and report status on, high-amp L2 stations.

BTW, it looks like OCM needs to grab the stations from the Sun Country
Highway network. I have a Perl script that will do it which I'm happy to
share.

   Tom