[Ovmsdev] Open Charge Map

Kevin Sharpe kevin.sharpe at zerocarbonworld.org
Wed May 21 15:23:56 HKT 2014

FYI, I¹ve asked Lee Howard from Mainpine to take a look at this in detail.

Kevin Sharpe | Founder & Patron | Zero Carbon World is a UK Registered
Charity #1141347

From:  Mark Webb-Johnson <mark at webb-johnson.net>
Date:  Wednesday, 21 May 2014 07:19
To:  OVMS Developers <ovmsdev at lists.teslaclub.hk>
Subject:  Re: [Ovmsdev] Open Charge Map

Here is an email with a proposal / suggest I sent out last year. This would
be wonderful to do, just limited resources to do it with.

Regards, Mark.

> [...]
> updates all partners (via PUSH notification) that a charge has started at this
> location.
>
> Partners can use this information to record statistics on charge station
> usage, or even as a rudimentary indication of if the charging station is in
> use (at least by an OVMS user).
>
> After a few hours of charging, a breaker trips and the charge is interrupted.
> The OVMS module in his car detected the abort and informs the server. The
> server looks up the vehicle charging location, and if sharing is enabled for
> this location sends a PUSH notification to the user¹s Apps asking him about
> the cause of this interruption?
>
> The user returns to his car and finds the problem. He responds to the dialog
> in his OVMS App to let the system know that the charge was interrupted by a
> problem of the charging station. The server receives the response, updates its
> records, and updates all partners (via PUSH notification) that a charge has
> been interrupted at this location.
>
> Partners can use this information to record statistics on charge station
> failure rates, as well as updating that the charge station is no longer in
> use.
>
> Partners not using PUSH notifications can retrieve all this information at a
> later date by a simple HTTP PULL request.
>
> Further work
>
> There are many extensions possible to this system, but I would first of all
> like to concentrate on getting a basic implementation designed and
> implemented, and some partnerships in place.
>
> For example:
>
> * Pictures of new charging locations.
> * Information for new charging locations.
> * Charging station information.
> * Showing current usage of a particular station in the Apps.
> * and so much more
>
> Privacy Issues
>
> The biggest privacy issue is that the server would have to record the
> locations of charging stations that the user has requested not be shared. For
> example, someone¹s home. We could avoid this by not recording these, but that
> would not be optimal as the system would then have to ask the user whether he
> wanted to share, each and every time they charged at that location (rather
> than just once, the first time). As this information is not actually shared,
> it is not a true privacy issue - but should the security of the server be
> compromised, that data could be exposed.
>
> Perhaps a one-way hash could be used for storing locations, but we would have
> to find one that also worked with geofenced lookups.
>
> Conclusions
>
> The above is not hard. In particular, the vehicle firmware changes are trivial
> (it could even be done without any vehicle firmware changes, by looking at the
> S and D messages coming back from the cars). The server code is not difficult
> at all. The largest amount of work would be in the Apps (in particular,
> handling the PUSH notifications and user dialogs).