[Ovmsdev] GEVCU 5 hardware

Nigel Jones nigel at cherrybyte.me.uk
Thu May 15 19:48:49 HKT 2014

I also came across @fleetprobe (
Davy De Waele <https://twitter.com/ddewaele>) who have their proprietary
equilvalent based on some atmel microcontroller. No idea of the overall
capabilities

As someone more used to larger memory systems (!) & new to OVMS. I was also
interested in the plethora of CAN bus adapters compatable with the rasberry
pi via the SPI interface - or possibly USB.. This potentially opens up to a
much broader audience for development (linux kernel support) BUT very
significant power usage 500mA-1000mA @ 5V. that's more awkward especially
when not driving. Well basically it can't happen = flat 12V

I do like the idea of
 * connectivity locally within car (wifi/bluetooth) without requiring
cellular data connection - idea for an additional in-car dash display for
"production" use or even for debugging messages
 * anything to make sw updating easier. with the ovms I need to disconnect
3+ cables in car, bring inside, open up box, attach pic programmer,
program, screw back up, go back out to car, plug back in. I'm more used to
OTA updates... easy for a pi, but presumably trick for microcontroller.
Anything that speeds up this iteration would be helpful