[Ovmsdev] OVMS v3

Tom Saxton tom at idleloop.com
Tue Jun 17 23:41:47 HKT 2014

In our Leaf, we have a Gary Giddings SOC meter. It powers up with the car
and shows the SOC on an LED display that's always easily visible day or
night. It's positioned discretely so it doesn't clutter up the car yet is
still easy to see with a quick glance. I don't want to have to fumble with a
cell phone to look at SOC. We don't have a cell phone mount in the car as
that would attract break-ins.

The Roadster is different because it has a good SOC display, so the OVMS is
only used for remote monitoring, occasional control, plus now the incredibly
useful ACC.

The newer Leafs have the option of showing a numerical SOC percent, but
that's still relative to the current pack capacity rather than an absolute
energy estimate. So, displaying something based on Gids would still be
useful to new Leaf owners although it's a less obvious need now.

The 2014 Leaf removed the ability to limit charging to 80% because the EPA
was punishing them for that feature (lowering the estimated range to the
average of 100% and 80% charge, a very stupid move). Perhaps that doesn't
make any difference in battery longevity, but it's a huge setback for owners
(like me) who live at the top of a hill. When every charge is to 100%, you
get no regen going down that first hill which really detracts from the EV
driving experience. So 2014 Leaf owners stand to benefit significantly from
ACC if we can figure out how to do that.

    Tom

On 6/16/14, 11:40 PM, "Mark Webb-Johnson" <mark at webb-johnson.net> wrote:

Matt,

> Firstly, adding a directly connected display means that the OVMS unit has to
> be mounted in clear view, not behind the dash.

Yes, that is my concern. For my personal use case, I already have 3 displays
in my car (the little VDS, a 2DIN Asteroid Parrot, and an iPhone) - not
counting the speedometer. I could use either the Parrot or iPhone for an
OVMS display without much impact to my daily routine.

So, I'm interested in the requirement for non-smartphone displays. I heard
this originally from the Twizy owners, but it seems Tom sees a use as well.

>  I think it would significantly help to ... (snip) ...  allow an OVMS
> developer to easily co-operate with an EV owner that may not be physically
> close by to read CAN data and try new code

Yes. My exact thinking.

My day job is CTO of a company that manages thousands of remote device in
the field. It is amazingly efficient to be able to remotely connect for
diagnostics and support.

If an owner can just buy and install an OVMS module, with the developer
working remotely, we could leverage this much more.

Regards, Mark.

OvmsDev at lists.teslaclub.hk