[Ovmsdev] changing android app server IP

Lee Howard lee.howard at mainpine.com
Sat Jun 28 03:44:16 HKT 2014

On 06/27/2014 10:38 AM, Lee Howard wrote:
> On 06/26/2014 08:38 PM, Tom Saxton wrote:
>
>> Arguably the server account should be per-vehicle but I'm guessing the
>> thought was that anyone who has multiple OVMS vehicles will have them
>> all
>> on the same server and making that app-wide means you only have to enter
>> username, password and server IP once.
>>
>> Of course none of this is any help for figuring out how to do it on
>> Android...
>
> As I dug-into the Android code better to hard-code the address change
> I discovered - to my delight - that the app server address is stored
> in a per-car data object.  Yay!  So this is nice.  I'm going to give
> this another shot.

Here is the patch.  Someone with privs can apply it and commit these
changes to the repository if it meets with their approval.

It's a very small enhancement - basically permitting an interface to
sel_server in the CarData object.  The interface is right where it
should be, IMO: right where you enter the vehicle info and passwords.
The default is left to "tmc.openvehicles.com", but the user now has the
capability to modify it (on a per-car basis, even).

I did not change the sel_server initialization value of
"tmc.openvehicles.com".  I could have changed this to "" as with the
other CarData strings, but it probably makes little difference. Leaving
it to initialize with "tmc.openvehicles.com" possibly it could be
confusing to someone later who doesn't recognize that the initialized
value is always overwritten by the configured value (as with the other
CarData strings which are initialized to "").  If someone cares they can
modify that at the top of CarData.java.

This patch also makes one obvious grammatical correction in a string
appearing on the same page layout.

If there is any concern just look at the patch - it's a very, very
benign set of changes.  This e-mail is longer than the patch is.

Thanks,

Lee.

--
*Lee Howard*
*Mainpine, Inc. Chief Technology Officer*