[Ovmsdev] OVMS v3

Matt Beard matt at beard.tv
Tue Jun 17 02:25:25 HKT 2014

Maybe the important thing to ask at the moment is: What features do we want
v3 to have?

I will start with a few from my wish-list:

* The ability to use 3G networks
* The ability to perform over-the air updates
* The ability to log trips or time-periods, ideally with a really easy way
to extract the data
* A web interface that allows me to configure the unit easily, this may be
via a common server that sends config to the device
* Fast turnaround of support for new vehicles of versions (this probably
means making life easier for developers)

As a developer:
* USB comms rather than RS232 for debug
* The ability to download test code via USB without needing to open the box
and use a proprietary programmer
* Ideally the ability to debug and program via the internet rather than
needing physical access to the device (security will be important - this
option should be disabled when shipped)
* The ability to use the device to do smart logging of the CAN bus - I
think this may really help development on new vehicles, especially if it
can be connected to a new vehicle and the data logged by a remote developer
(rather than needing to wait for a developer to buy a car before support
can be started)

Matt Beard